A History of Caring
One person can make a difference
The Carleton Place & District Memorial Hospital Auxiliary was formed on May 22, 1953. This was two years before the hospital was opened. Its goal was to ensure both patient care and comfort through fundraising activities and service within the hospital. Ninety women attended the first meeting and elected Mrs. Annie Johnston as their first president.
Over the past six decades, volunteers have touched every part of CPDMH, providing care and support. Their fundraising efforts are also impressive, including the establishment of the River of Life.
Sixty-six years later in 2019, the Auxiliary passed a motion to move in a new direction, focusing on its original vision to support patients and families at CPDMH. Like many other Auxiliaries throughout Ontario, CPDMH volunteers are now focusing their efforts on what is most important - the care and comfort of patients and their families.
These men and women are a welcome sight throughout CPDMH and that will not change. Today, CPDMH Volunteer Services focuses on one original mission - to lend a helping hand to patients, visitors and staff at CPDMH!